Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Annual "Whatcha Watchin'?" Post

In response to Dung, here are my top five currently-running shows (i.e. still airing new stuff), in order:
  1. The Office
  2. Big Bang Theory
  3. Psych
  4. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  5. Heroes
The Office continues to be my favorite show, hands-down. I also really liked the British version, and you can't go wrong with either one. This is one show that I require that Ash pay attention to, because I love all the subtle looks and innuendos and such, and I get sick of her asking "what'd I miss?" all the time when I just burst out laughing for no audible reason. She's been cooperating quite well this year; it's been a struggle to make her put down the DS.

Big Bang Theory is one show where I find myself LOL'ing more than any other show. The Office is great, but a lot of its charm isn't in pure, raw humor. I can see how BBT is a niche show, being more for the nerd crowd or people who can at least appreciate nerd humor. But for me it's great and I hope the networks continue this trend (which also includes Chuck).

Psych was one of my favorite shows before, but this year they must have brought on some new writer(s) or something, because it was significantly and noticably more funnier than the first couple seasons. Yeah, that's right, that just happened. More funnier. And I have added Maggie Lawson, who plays Juliet, to my top five "Adultery-Pardon" watch-list.

Sunny is just as hilariously wrong as ever. I find myself not exactly craving to watch each week's new episode(s), but when I do watch them I laugh my politically-incorrect ass off.

Heroes has been getting some bad geezer press this year, what with all the schizophrenic plot lines and new characters and time travel and... While I do feel like they are missing the boat from a general plot perspective (what TV was really lacking at the time Heroes came out was just a great sci-fi show where genetically supercharged heroes kick ass, a la Buffy or Angel or Dark Angel, or even a TV-version of X-Men or Fantastic Four), instead of focusing more on great characters with great powers, they are turning more into Alias/X-Files with these season+ long story archs that never go anywhere and rarely answer questions. It's a mess. But I love it. Ash hates Sylar, but every time he comes on screen I'm like a kid at Christmas. He's the best...villain...EVAR! I love his scenes. But don't worry, Sylar's not taking Maggie Lawson's place on The List.

Honorable mentions go to Eureka (sweet show), Biggest Loser (though they need to drop this whole couples format, I think it's stupid and unfair...if you're going to start a competition as a couple, you should finish it as a couple), and the 2008 WSOP (shuffle up and deal!). We watched the first episode of Fringe and haven't seen another one yet. And if Reaper ever comes back (did it get canceled?), that show definitely deserves honorable mention if not in the top 5 somewhere.

7 comments:

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

BBT FTW! ;-)

I guess it's time for Glenda and I to break down and catch up with Heroes on Netflix. That's what we did with Lost. I hear too many good things about it.

Sal Cartusciello said...

I have wanted to watch Always Sunny, but just never have gotten to it. Might also need to be a summer Nexflix thing. Dexter and The Shield is also on that list.

Kimberly said...

Reaper is coming back mid season. That one is definitely going on my list whenever I get around to doing mine. Jeff just got ahead of me!

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

@Slinger: The first season of Heroes is the bomb. Slight decline over season 2 and now 3, but still a great great show. Good call with Netflixing it.

@Sal: We just now are getting whatever channel Dexter is on, so I keep meaning to give it a look. We are DVRing True Blood which I think is on HBO. Not bad if you can get past the horribly fake accents.

@Kim: Slacker. Thanks for the good word on Reaper. I loves me some Missy Peregrym (yeah, she's on The List...). And Sock is hilarious.

Unknown said...

The Big Bang Theory is doing great. It got 9.4 million viewers on Monday, and beat How I Met Your Mother in the ratings. Great show.

lieslkard said...

LOVE The Office! Started watching less than a year ago; now almost completely caught up via Netflix. Tried Heros this summer for at least 7 or 8 episodes but decided not to get totally sucked in. Will check out BBT next.

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

Hi Liesl, thanks for stopping on by! I definitely would recommend Big Bang. Some really funny characters. We watch that and How I Met Your Mother back-to-back usually, it's a good combo.

In retrospect we are watching a lot of TV, but man it seems like a long time since anything has actually been on between the writers' strike and summer.