Monday, August 27, 2007

On Diapers

Oh, poop. This is sort of an interesting conversation we've had in our house lately. Cloth vs. Disposable? Is there such a thing as an eco-friendly diaper?

There are a lot of different options out there. Cloth. 7th Generation and Tushies diapers are chlorine-free. gDiapers are flushable. Or we could just start potty training at 7 months.

We're not really leaning one way or the other, just weighing our options. They all look crappy. Ba-dum-bum. There's no secret that Ash and I try and do our part for the environment and all. Nothing too outrageous. I don't drive a Crisco car or anything. I can't even affort a hybrid, but I'd like to get one someday. We just do little things like recycle what we can, and take canvas bags to the sto'. It's fun watching the dipshit teens fumble with the canvas bags and go all 12 Monkeys Brad Pitt trying to fill them.

I am leaning towards regular Pampers or Huggies or whatever works best. Neat-and-tidy is more of a priority to me than environment when it comes to cleaning up yellow stanky diarrhea. Ash is leaning more towards cloth, or maybe a mix of cloth and disposable, whatever makes sense at the time. Curious to hear if any of my dear readers have some experience with anything out of the ordinary.

5 comments:

Hogwild said...

Mojo,

We went with disposables for conveniece when Eleanor was born and stuck with them. I remember reading or hearing that disposables vs. cloth is a wash ;-) after considering all the water and detergent used for cleaning. Even moreso if you use a service and consider the fuel costs associated with deliver and pickup.

Take that with a grain of salt...I'm not sure if it's true or not but it makes sense to me.

Hog

Kimberly said...

I briefly considered cloth, but ultimately was happy with the disposables and will likely go that route again. There is just something about having a diaper full of mustard-seed yellow-orange poo that makes me think "I don't want this in my house any longer than it has to be."

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

You should consider building a pen out back until the kid id potty trained. You wouldn't need any diapers then, just a hose.

Your friendly neighborhood 'Slinger.

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

Thanks Slinger. The first H3 teabag is complementary. I might throw in a few more just because I can.

Kimberly said...

Okay, I read the article about toilet training infants and I just find it creepy. Not sure why and if it works for other people, then great. It just seems creepy to me.